Friday 1 July 2011

Last Week of Lessons

Who knew 4 months of teaching could fly by so, so fast?

I still remember all my lesson plans and it's surreal thinking I've now taught my last lesson of the gap year. Going back to England is going to feel very strange. I think I'm going to have to pick up a TEFL certificate on the way....

For this last week, I've asked my students to teach me something Chinese. I've had a BRILLIANT time and learnt so much!! Every class has shown me something different. About half of my students are from ethnic minorities (most are Hui, Hani, Dai, Yi) who've taught me songs, dances and language which has been so interesting and completely new. It's been great to jump into culture and learn everything from fire dances from Yi students, raps in local dialect, children's songs and famous Chinese karaoke hits! I've also had a crash course in Tai Chi, had calligraphy written for me and had classes recite & translate classical poetry about friendship to me:

"Wherever you go and whatever you do, we will always be friends and we will always miss you"
Hearing a class of 60 say this together is really very moving.

It's not all Chinese though, I also had an AMAZING popping & locking display to Michael Jackson from a group of boys!!

.... But I have to say, I really, really am sad. I love this school so much and am finding it really hard to say goodbye to the best job I think I'll ever have. My colleagues all tell me this is my second home and  never to worry about accommodation when I come to SW China. I've been fighting back tears all today and when students ask if they'll ever see me again, I can't bring myself to say no. So, I think it's a new job, saving money and an airfare back to China when I get back to England :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi

    I taught at this school in 2004, the first foreign English teacher at the school and have enjoyed reading your experiences.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete